PROGRAM | COURSES AVAILABLE | COSTS | APPLICATION PROCESS | FACULTY CONTACTS
SPANISH STUDIES IN SPAIN (VALLADOLID)
This five-week academic program takes place in Valladolid, in the region of Castilla-León, for six credits of Spanish language study. The Spanish classes will concentrate on the four basic communication skills: speaking, listening, reading, and writing Spanish. Students will also participate in five required meetings with “Conversation Partners” to practice Spanish with native speakers. You will be learning about Spain with day trips to Salamanca and Segovia and a long weekend to explore the sites of Madrid.
Students will receive a student ID from the Universidad de Valladolid (UVA) that allows them to have access to university facilities like libraries and the language lab. Students with their own laptops or smartphones will have access to free WIFI in university buildings. The new campus, Miguel Delibes, is the home of the UVA Language Center where language classes are held from 9:30 a.m. – 1:50 p.m. (with a break from 11:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.). This campus is connected to the city-wide bus system. Cost of commuting is not included in the program cost.
As an important part of the immersion process, participants will live with Spanish families who are requested to only speak Spanish with the students - usually one Belmont student per family in individual rooms. Students become members of the family during their stay. They must obey the house rules and treat their Spanish families with respect and courtesy. The families will take care of laundry and provide 3 meals each day.
Information Meeting for Spain Summer 2020 (Valladolid)
Thursday, January 23rd from 3:30pm - 5:00pm in Ayers #2096
You may earn 6 Foreign Language hours of credit in Spanish (the equivalent of 1 year) in 5 weeks through successful completion of the Belmont Study Abroad Program in Spain. You must participate in at least one course offered in Spain.
- Segovia (One-day trip)
- Salamanca (One-day trip)
- Rutas de los Castillos (Afternoon trip)
- Madrid (Extended weekend)
Add-on Courses in July (consult with Co-Directors for more information and additional costs):
- SPA 1950: Elementary Spanish (6 Credit Hours)
- SPA 2950: Intermediate Spanish (6 Credit Hours)
- SPA 3950: Upper Level Spanish (6 Credit Hours)
- SPA 2950 or 3950 (3 credits) = Two additional weeks in July. Additional program cost = $1450, plus Belmont tuition.
1. Program Fee: $4,750:
- SPA 3950 (6 credits) Spanish for Healthcare = Four additional weeks in July. Additional program cost = $2600, plus Belmont tuition.
Room and board for three meals per day in Valladolid, laundry, Spanish insurance, excursion costs, museums and event tickets (group visits).
Costs not covered by the program fee include
: Airfare, lunch and dinner while on excursions. In addition, please note that buses in Valladolid, any taxis, spending money are not included in the program costs.
2. Belmont Tuition
Tuition is charged at the special study abroad tuition rate of 2/3 off the cost of normal Summer tuition. For every 3 hours of study abroad credit you register for, you pay for only one hour.
Students are responsible for booking their own international travel.
Program Deposit: $500 due at time of acceptance
Faculty-Led Application Process
Dates and Deadlines
All requirements must be completed by the Study Abroad Office deadlines: online materials are due by 11:59 PM on the deadline date
- Deadline Extended to February 15, 2019
How to Apply
1. Please click the Apply Now button (found at the top-right of this page and/or at the bottom of this page) to apply.
2. You will automatically be directed to your myBelmont account to log-in.
3. After logging in to your myBelmont account, if you are not re-directed back to Belmont Global, open a new window for Belmont Global to complete your application.
Dr. David Julseth
Department of Foreign Languages
firstname.lastname@example.org • JAAC 3031
Dr. Mitch McCoy
Department of Foreign Languages
email@example.com • JAAC 3071