PROGRAM | COURSES AVAILABLE | COSTS | APPLICATION PROCESS | FACULTY CONTACTS
SUMMER 2019 PROGRAMS ARE CLOSED. SUMMER 2020 PROGRAMS WILL OPEN ON OCTOBER 2ND.
Actor Training in the Classical Tradition
What is acting and how is it done? Is acting an art or a craft? And, what about the history of acting? Where and how did it begin? Who are the earliest practitioners of this art form? What type of training does an actor need? Can acting be taught? What are the various approaches to actor training and technique? And, where does one go to experience the best training in the world? These questions and more will be investigated as students travel to Belfast, Ireland and London, England to experience the history, culture, lifestyles, significant landmarks, professional theatre performances, and actor-training of this part of the world. This user-friendly, interactive and experiential course will focus on comparing the similarities and differences between the American approaches to actor-training and theatre production practices to those of Ireland and England. From Shakespeare to the modern day musical, studying and experiencing theatre abroad can be inspirational for students in developing their international outlook on acting, theatre practices, and performance production styles.
- BELFAST—the capital and largest city of Northern Ireland, and the second largest on the island of Ireland. It is home to Titanic Studios where Game of Thrones is shot, and only a stone’s throw away from other filming locations across Northern Ireland including The King's Road, Winterfell, The Wall and Dragonstone.
- LONDON—at one time it was the largest city in the world—a cosmopolitan center that offers an unparalleled choice of museums, monuments, theatres and more for a truly unforgettable experience!
- GAME OF THRONES TOUR—explore film locations from the HBO hit series Game of Thrones, such as Winterfell, Old Castle Ward, and Giant’s Causeway on this Northern Ireland Tour.
- THE TITANIC EXPERIENCE—explore the shipyard, walk the decks, travel to the depths of the ocean and uncover the true legend of Titanic in the city where it all began.
- POLITICAL HISTORY TAXI TOUR— explore the raw side of Belfast and experience the world famous Catholic & Protestant murals that paint a picture of the city’s colourful political history with this one-of-a-kind taxi tour.
- LIVE THEATRE PERFORMANCES—experience live theatre at professional venues such as The Metropolitan Arts Centre in Belfast and The West End in London. Talkbacks with the actors will also be available after several of the shows.
- ACTING WORKSHOPS—experience actor training workshops with industry professionals at leading institutions such as the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts (LAMDA), the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA), and the Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC).
- STRATFORD-UPON-AVON—steeped in the history of its most famous resident, William Shakespeare, this Warwickshire country town contains the home where Shakespeare was born, and the church where he is buried. It’s also home to The Royal Shakespeare Company.
- THE ROYAL NATIONAL THEATRE—discover the backstage workings of The National Theatre as we explore one of the UK’s foremost venues for contemporary and classic theatre, and scene of some the greatest performances of all time from some of world’s most famous actors and actresses.
- THE GLOBE THEATRE EXHIBITION—experience this engaging and informative exhibition that explores the life of Shakespeare, the London where he lived, and the theatre for which he wrote, the iconic Globe Theatre, bringing the space to life with colorful stories of the 1599 Globe, of the reconstruction process in the 1990s, and of how the ‘wooden O’ works today as an imaginative and experimental theatrical space.
- GALLERIES AND MUSEUMS—experience London’s history and culture first hand at famous places such as The Tower of London, Albert & Victoria Museum, The National Portrait Gallery, The National Gallery, and Westminster Abbey.
All courses will satisfy either Belmont requirements in the Gen Ed core or the specified major. You must participate in at least one course offered in Belfast & London. You should consult individual program faculty to see how online options can fit into your study abroad program.
Actor Training in the Classical Tradition (Theatre major/minor elective)
The Belfast/London Theatre Experience (Fine Arts Gen. Ed)
ENG 3950: Third Year Writing (English 3010; satisfies BELL CORE requirement)
REL 3950: Religion Jr. Cornerstone (Path A or B; satisfies BELL CORE requirement)
INB 3950: (satisfies BBA Core Business requirement for International Business 3300)
1. Program Fee: $6,000:
This fee will include all airfare, transportation, housing, group events, excursions and tours, entrance fees, workshops, and theatre productions.
Costs not covered by the program fee include:
2. Belmont Tuition
Tuition is charged at the special study abroad tuition rate of 2/3 off the cost of normal Maymester tuition. For every 3 hours of study abroad credit you register for, you pay for only one hour.
Program Deposit: $500 due at time of application
Faculty-Led Application Process
Dates and Deadlines
All requirements must be completed by the Study Abroad Office deadlines: online materials are due by 11:59 PM on the deadline date
How to Apply
- Spring Break Programs: November 15
- Maymester Programs: February 1
- Summer Programs: February 15
1. Please click the Apply Now button (found at the top-right of this page and/or at the bottom of this page) to apply.
2. You will automatically be directed to your myBelmont account to log-in.
3. After logging in to your myBelmont account, if you are not re-directed back to Belmont Global, open a new window for Belmont Global to complete your application.
Brent Maddox, Associate Professor
Department of Theatre and Dance
BFA Theatre Performance Director
Jessica Mueller, Associate Professor
Department of Theatre and Dance
BFA Theatre Production Design Director