AT A GLANCE/LOCATION | PROGRAM TERM | AREAS OF STUDY | COURSE INFORMATION | HOUSING INFORMATION | COSTS | STUDENT LIFE | APPLICATION PROCESS | STAFF CONTACT
AT A GLANCE/LOCATION
Awash in Mediterranean warmth, Alicante sparkles with beautiful beaches by day and festive energy by night. Here you’ll find endless opportunities to rapidly improve your Spanish – like chatting with Spanish peers in a language exchange program, practicing with your host family, and exploring open-air markets. And with outings to treasured monuments and nearby cities, plus cooking classes, dancing workshops, hiking, theatre, and more, you’ll never run out of ways to immerse yourself in Alicante.
Home to 350,000 residents, the 3,500-year-old port city sits centrally on Spain’s dazzling Mediterranean coast. From the emblematic medieval Castle of Santa Barbara high on Benacantil Mountain, to the lovely palm-lined marble tiled Explanada de España, Alicante is full of distinctive Spanish flavor, balanced with cosmopolitan flair, and multicultural presence.
Like other regions in Spain and Europe, Alicante is bilingual. Castilian Spanish is the primary language of most residents, but be on the lookout to encounter the second language, Valenciano.
Pre-Requisites for Program/Eligibility
An overall GPA of 2.50 is required to be considered for this program.
Late August - Mid December
Early January - Early May
AREAS OF STUDY
- European Studies
- Political Science
to find the list of available courses.
Homestay (meals are included)
Residence hall (meals are included)
1. Administrative Fee: $150
2. Belmont Tuition:
Student will first pay Belmont tuition and then be charged a Program Fee for the difference in total provider program cost and what has already been paid for Belmont tuition. If the provider program costs less than Belmont tuition, the student will only be billed Belmont tuition.
Students are responsible for booking their own international travel.It is recommended that students wait to be accepted fully into their program before booking their airfare.
- Put your coursework in context with visits to museums, theaters, and cultural sites.
- Explore beyond the city with day trips to provincial highlights like the Algar Waterfalls, Canelobre Caves, Calpe, Altea, and Guadalest Castle, or to Valencian Autonomous Community.
- Discover another beautiful Spanish city, such as Granada, Madrid, or Valencia.
- Take your pick of nonstop activities offered weekly by both CIEE and the University Language Center – hiking, sports, cinema, cooking workshops, dance classes, theater, guided tours – boredom is not an option!
- Make new friends as you practice your Spanish language skills with Spanish students during linguistic activities.
- Join a language exchange program.
- Play sports (soccer, basketball, etc.), go hiking, and take part in fun activities around the city – all while you speak Spanish!
Dates and Deadlines
All requirements must be completed by the Study Abroad Office deadlines: online materials are due by 11:59 PM on the deadline date
How to Apply
- Spring Semester Programs: October 15
- Summer/Fall/Academic Year Programs: March 1
1. Please click the Apply Now button (found at the top-right of this page and/or at the bottom of this page) to apply.
2. You will automatically be directed to your myBelmont account to log-in.
3. After logging in to your myBelmont account, if you are not re-directed back to Belmont Global, open a new window for Belmont Global to complete your application.
This program has a two-step application process:
Step 1) Belmont’s Study Abroad Office application, which requires:
Step 2) The Provider application, to be completed SIMULTANEOUSLY with Step 1:
- Passport photocopy
- Online questionnaires
- Signature documents
- You must submit the provider application and all requested documents directly to the provider by the Belmont Abroad Office deadline, regardless of the deadlines set by the provider organization.
- Instructions for completing the provider application will be provided on your Belmont Abroad Office application. You should contact the provider directly if you have further questions about the application.
- Your application will not be considered complete until you have submitted both the Belmont application and the provider application.
Office of Study Abroad • JAAC 1009
CIEE Language and Culture Program in Alicante, Spain
Exploring caves, visiting a white village known for its fishing, and more amazing life experiences are waiting for you in the beautiful Spanish city of Alicante. Advance your Spanish language skills while immersing yourself in the city and region's diverse offerings. Intensive language coursework, conversation exchanges, homestays, and more offer an academically challenging and immersive intercultural experience.
Study abroad in Alicante and you'll:
Find out more. Please check the CIEE website for final program dates, and speak with your CIEE Study Abroad Advisor prior to booking airfare.
- Take a variety of courses on topics that include women's issues, art history, cinema, international relations, and literature
- Become a member of a Spanish family or live in the dorms with Spanish or international students
- Participate in day excursions and field trips related to academic coursework, such as visits to museums, theaters, cultural sites, and to other important Spanish cities
- Join the Club COOLtural and attend cultural events