AT A GLANCE/LOCATION | PROGRAM TERM | AREAS OF STUDY | COURSE INFORMATION | HOUSING INFORMATION | COSTS | STUDENT LIFE | APPLICATION PROCESS | STAFF CONTACT
AT A GLANCE/LOCATION
This sunny Mediterranean island is a mecca for tourists. Add Spain’s number one tourism degree program, and you’ve got the perfect location to explore hospitality, recreation management, and business. Join Spanish students in specially designed Spanish or English-taught classes, and visit Palma hospitality and tourism businesses to develop critical management skills, industry vocabulary, and a global business perspective. You can experience a professional work atmosphere while pursuing a for-credit internship in a company or hotel in Palma.
In addition to Spanish, you can also study Spanish literature, education, psychology, and international law. Or intern at a Palma school teaching English as a Second Language.
Palma de Mallorca is the top tourist destination in Europe, and headquarter for some of Europe’s major tourism enterprises, such as Air Europa, Barceló, Iberostar, TUI, Hotel Beds, Sol Meliá, and Viajes Iberia. The port city is dominated by a gothic Cathedral, an elegant Moorish palace, and a medieval castle. The palm-fringed marina bristles with masts, and beyond lies a tapestry of gothic, medieval, modernist, and Moorish architecture, tiny shops, and busy squares. Flat terrain makes for easy walking and biking. Beyond the city are small villages, stones houses, and the impressive Tramuntana Mountains. No matter where you are, you’ll be tempted to act like a local and adopt an active lifestyle so you can make the most of the landscapes and azure waters around you.
Pre-Requisites for Program/Eligibility
An overall GPA of 2.50 is required to be considered for this program.
Students with five or more semesters of Spanish may take direct enroll business courses in Spanish.
Early September– Mid-December
Early January – Early June
Early September – Early June
AREAS OF STUDY
to find the list of available courses.
Apartment, academic year only (meals not included)
Homestay (three meals per day are included)
Hostel Residence, individual room (breakfast is included daily)
1. Administrative Fee: $150
2. Belmont Tuition:
Student will first pay Belmont tuition and then be charged a Program Fee for the difference in total provider program cost and what has already been paid for Belmont tuition. If the provider program costs less than Belmont tuition, the student will only be billed Belmont tuition.
Students are responsible for booking their own international travel.It is recommended that students wait to be accepted fully into their program before booking their airfare.
- Take a three-day trip to Granada (fall) to visit La Alhambra and the Albaicín charming neighborhood, or Valencia (spring) to visit the old town and the Ciudad de las Artes y las Ciencias built by architect Calatrava.
- Hike impressive Tramuntana Mountain, World Heritage Site.
- Visit Palma highlights like the cathedral, Bellver Castle, Royal Palace of la Almudaina, Arab Baths, City Hall, and the historic district.
- Explore Valldemossa, Deia, and Alcudia, the beaches of Es Trenc, Cabrera National Park, breathtaking Cape Formentor, and 13th- and 14th-century Mediterranean gardens.
- Take a bike tour along the coast of Palma to Arenal beaches.
- Get to know new Spanish friends with cooking classes, salsa dancing, movies, beach picnics, flea market visits, and more.
- Complement your studies with field visits to hotels, tourist sites, and more.
Dates and Deadlines
All requirements must be completed by the Study Abroad Office deadlines: online materials are due by 11:59 PM on the deadline date
How to Apply
- Spring Semester Programs: October 15
- Summer/Fall/Academic Year Programs: March 1
1. Please click the Apply Now button (found at the top-right of this page and/or at the bottom of this page) to apply.
2. You will automatically be directed to your myBelmont account to log-in.
3. After logging in to your myBelmont account, if you are not re-directed back to Belmont Global, open a new window for Belmont Global to complete your application.
This program has a two-step application process:
Step 1) Belmont’s Study Abroad Office application, which requires:
Step 2) The Provider application, to be completed SIMULTANEOUSLY with Step 1:
- Passport photocopy
- Online questionnaires
- Signature documents
- You must submit the provider application and all requested documents directly to the provider by the Belmont Abroad Office deadline, regardless of the deadlines set by the provider organization.
- Instructions for completing the provider application will be provided on your Belmont Abroad Office application. You should contact the provider directly if you have further questions about the application.
- Your application will not be considered complete until you have submitted both the Belmont application and the provider application.
Office of Study Abroad • JAAC 1009
CIEE Business and Tourism Program in Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Develop your skills to become a leader in business, hospitality, or recreation management in a city known for its tourism industry – and for its beauty- and in a university with a tourism degree ranked number one in Spain! The coastal Spanish city of Palma de Mallorca is an ideal laboratory for students. By enrolling directly with local Spanish students in specially designed Spanish or English-taught classes and taking part in visits to local business focused on the hospitality and tourism industries, you'll develop critical management skills, industry vocabulary, and a global business perspective.
Study abroad in Palma de Mallorca and you'll:
- Learn Spanish at your level – focusing on developing your tourism and business vocabulary – while living on the Mediterranean coast
- Study business, tourism, hospitality, meeting, and event and recreation management in English or in Spanish with Spanish and other international students
- Experience a professional work atmosphere while pursuing a for-credit internship in a company or hotel
- Explore natural and cultural sites, international and new-technology companies, areas of mass tourism and over-development, rural eco-tourist sites, and hotels
>Explore natural and cultural sites, areas of mass tourism and over-development, rural eco-tourist sites, and hotels
Find out more.
Please check the CIEE website for final program dates, and speak with your CIEE Study Abroad Advisor prior to booking airfare.