CIEE in Brazil: Rio de Janeiro - Liberal ArtsAT A GLANCE/LOCATION | PROGRAM TERM | AREAS OF STUDY | COURSE INFORMATION | HOUSING INFORMATION | COSTS | STUDENT LIFE | APPLICATION PROCESS | STAFF CONTACT
AT A GLANCE/LOCATION
Get a completely new university experience south of the equator. Put your Spanish or Portuguese skills to work, and challenge yourself to courses taught in Portuguese in the action-packed city of Rio. We’ll help you ramp up, with a special four-week prep course to polish your skills and build your confidence. Add a treasure trove of cultural activities and excursions that bring colorful Brazilian culture to life, and you get one unforgettable international experience.
Rio de Janeiro is all about living large. It’s the capital city of the State of Rio de Janeiro, the second largest city of Brazil, and the third largest metropolitan area in South America. The most visited city in the southern hemisphere, Rio is known for its natural beauty, Carnival celebrations, samba, Bossa Nova, and renowned beaches. Rio’s iconic landmarks include the giant statue of Christ the Redeemer atop Corcovado Mountain, one of the New Seven Wonders of the World, and Maracanã stadium, one of the world's largest football stadiums.
Pre-Requisites for Program/Eligibility
An overall GPA of 2.50 is required to be considered for this program.
FALL SEMESTER: Early July – Mid-December
SPRING SEMESTER: Early January – Late June
ACADEMIC YEAR: Early July – Late June
AREAS OF STUDY
- Computer Science
- Mathematics & Statistics
- Social Work
Click here to find the list of available courses.
Homestay (host families breakfast)
1. Administrative Fee: $150
2. Belmont Tuition:
Student will first pay Belmont tuition and then be charged a Program Fee for the difference in total provider program cost and what has already been paid for Belmont tuition. If the provider program costs less than Belmont tuition, the student will only be billed Belmont tuition.
Students are responsible for booking their own international travel.It is recommended that students wait to be accepted fully into their program before booking their airfare.
- Explore Rio and gain insights tourists often miss about its museums, neighborhoods, and more.
- Take an overnight trip to Ouro Preto, a UNESCO World Heritage site, to discover Brazil’s 18th century golden age.
- See why Brazilians are mad for football with a live match, take drumming lessons in a favela, or soak up similar experiences that bring Brazilian culture to life.
- Immerse yourself in Rio’s rich and diverse arts culture during Carnival and celebrations.
- Be part of campus life by joining extracurricular and cultural activities.
Dates and Deadlines
All requirements must be completed by the Study Abroad Office deadlines: online materials are due by 11:59 PM on the deadline date
- Spring Semester Programs: October 15
- Summer/Fall/Academic Year Programs: March 31
1. Please click the Apply Now button (found at the top-right of this page and/or at the bottom of this page) to apply.
2. You will automatically be directed to your myBelmont account to log-in.
3. After logging in to your myBelmont account, if you are not re-directed back to Belmont Global, open a new window for Belmont Global to complete your application.
This program has a two-step application process:
Step 1) Belmont’s Study Abroad Office application, which requires:
- Passport photocopy
- Online questionnaires
- Signature documents
- You must submit the provider application and all requested documents directly to the provider by the Belmont Abroad Office deadline, regardless of the deadlines set by the provider organization.
- Instructions for completing the provider application will be provided on your Belmont Abroad Office application. You should contact the provider directly if you have further questions about the application.
- Your application will not be considered complete until you have submitted both the Belmont application and the provider application.
Office of Study Abroad • JAAC 1009
CIEE Liberal Arts Program in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Just like the U.S., Brazil is a melting pot of cultures – a nation of immigrants who infused society with a colorful multicultural and multiethnic tapestry with influences from native Brazilians, Portuguese, and Africans. You’ll study this tapestry, and become part of it yourself, on CIEE’s Liberal Arts program in Rio de Janeiro. A rigorous language program, engaging courses, homestays, and cultural activities bring you into the depths of this exciting metropolis and the gorgeous landscapes that lie beyond.
Study abroad in Rio and you will:
- Study abroad in one of the most beautiful urban settings in the world and the cultural epicenter of Latin America's largest, fastest growing, and most dynamic economy
- Learn Portuguese through language instruction specifically designed for international students at Brazil's top higher education institution
- Volunteer at local NGOs, schools, and other organizations as part of an integrated CIEE community engagement program
- Immerse yourself in Brazilian academic and social life through homestays with local families, combined with studies on a vibrant urban university campus
- Witness firsthand the legendary economic and cultural development that defines Brazil today
Please check the CIEE website for final program dates, and speak with your CIEE Study Abroad Advisor prior to booking airfare.
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Fall||2019||03/01/2019 **||Rolling Admission||08/07/2019||12/13/2019|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.