AT A GLANCE/LOCATION | PROGRAM TERM | AREAS OF STUDY | COURSE INFORMATION | HOUSING INFORMATION | COSTS | STUDENT LIFE | APPLICATION PROCESS | STAFF CONTACT
AT A GLANCE/LOCATION
Slip into life at a slower pace in Chile, and take time to savor the amazing sights and sounds of Santiago. Through conversations with your host family and classes at your choice of three acclaimed universities, your Spanish language skills will improve dramatically. And with a cast of distinctive neighborhoods that ranges from Centro to Lastarria to Las Condes, you’ll return with fresh perspective and rich encounters that will serve you back on campus and throughout your career.
The metropolis of Santiago is South America’s sixth largest city, and home to more than six million. Located near the middle of long, narrow Chile, Santiago sits in a bowl-shaped valley with the towering Andes mountains nearly always in view. Here you’ll find world-class cuisine, exotic suburban parks, neoclassical architecture, and all the trappings of a modern economic center.
Pre-Requisites for Program/Eligibility
An overall GPA of 2.50 is required to be considered for this program.
Late July – Early December
Late February – Mid-July
Late July – Mid-July
AREAS OF STUDY
- Art History
- Computer Science
- Environmental Studies
- Political Science
- Public Health
to find the list of available courses.
Homestay (three meals per day are included)
1. Administrative Fee: $150
2. Belmont Tuition:
Student will first pay Belmont tuition and then be charged a Program Fee for the difference in total provider program cost and what has already been paid for Belmont tuition. If the provider program costs less than Belmont tuition, the student will only be billed Belmont tuition.
Students are responsible for booking their own international travel.It is recommended that students wait to be accepted fully into their program before booking their airfare.
- Outings are a given! You might tour the city, visit the homes of Pablo Neruda, tour historical neighborhoods by bike, go behind the scenes at local museums, or visit the memorial of the human rights victims from the 1973 coup.
- Explore beyond Santiago with a long weekend trip to a spectacular destination like the big island of Chiloé or the San Pedro de Atacama Desert.
- See still more with two shorter overnights, touring Casablanca vineyards, trekking in San Felipe and Petorca, visiting the coastal town of Papudo, or deciphering urban graffiti in Valparaíso.
Dates and Deadlines
All requirements must be completed by the Study Abroad Office deadlines: online materials are due by 11:59 PM on the deadline date
How to Apply
- Spring Semester Programs: October 15
- Summer/Fall/Academic Year Programs: March 31
1. Please click the Apply Now button (found at the top-right of this page and/or at the bottom of this page) to apply.
2. You will automatically be directed to your myBelmont account to log-in.
3. After logging in to your myBelmont account, if you are not re-directed back to Belmont Global, open a new window for Belmont Global to complete your application.
This program has a two-step application process:
Step 1) Belmont’s Study Abroad Office application, which requires:
Step 2) The Provider application, to be completed SIMULTANEOUSLY with Step 1:
- Passport photocopy
- Online questionnaires
- Signature documents
- You must submit the provider application and all requested documents directly to the provider by the Belmont Abroad Office deadline, regardless of the deadlines set by the provider organization.
- Instructions for completing the provider application will be provided on your Belmont Abroad Office application. You should contact the provider directly if you have further questions about the application.
- Your application will not be considered complete until you have submitted both the Belmont application and the provider application.
Office of Study Abroad • JAAC 1009
CIEE Liberal Arts Program in Santiago, Chile
In Santiago, take time to savor life, ideas, art, everything around you! On CIEE’s Liberal Arts program, you’ll explore this exciting capital of Chile – known for its relaxed way of life – while pursuing courses taught in Spanish. A homestay with a Chilean family, volunteering activities, and an internship with a local business or organization will help your Spanish improve dramatically while you gain skills that will help you throughout college and into your chosen career.
Study abroad in Santiago and you will:
- Take a wide range of direct enrollment courses at three prestigious universities
- Explore contemporary Chilean reality through innovative CIEE courses
- Take two, long weekend study trips—one to the dramatic and visually stunning northern-most region of Chile, and another excursion to the indigenous and historic south of the country
- Enjoy cultural and educational activities such as Chilean movie night, hikes in the Andes foothills, and an urban bike tour with Chilean student ambassadors
Find out more.
Please check the CIEE website for final program dates, and speak with your CIEE Study Abroad Advisor prior to booking airfare.