CIEE in United Arab Emirates: Sharjah - Business, Engineering, Arts & SciencesAT A GLANCE/LOCATION | PROGRAM TERM | AREAS OF STUDY | COURSE INFORMATION | HOUSING INFORMATION | COSTS | STUDENT LIFE | APPLICATION PROCESS | STAFF CONTACT
AT A GLANCE/LOCATION
With the world’s tallest structure and a manmade archipelago in the shape of a palm tree to its credit, the United Arab Emirates will fascinate you with engineering feats alone. Add its Gulf location and rich oil reserves that feed into the global economy, and it’s a truly interesting place to see how tradition and modern life converge while you learn about Arabian culture and develop your Arabic language skills.
Just 40 minutes from the center of fast-paced, cosmopolitan Dubai, Sharjah Emirate welcomes visitors to explore Gulf culture in relative quiet and comfort. Long considered the cultural capital of the UAE, Sharjah was named the Capital of Islamic Culture in 2014 for its efforts to preserve and promote culture. Sharjah has extensive museums, traditional souks (markets), and sites to explore.
Pre-Requisites for Program/Eligibility
An overall GPA of 2.75 is required to be considered for this program.
FALL SEMESTER: Late August – Late December
SPRING SEMESTER: Mid-January – Late May
ACADEMIC YEAR: Late August – Late May
AREAS OF STUDY
- Computer Science
- Environmental Studies
- Political Science
- Public Health
- Studio Art
Click here to find the list of available courses.
Residence Hall (meals not included)
1. Administrative Fee: $150
2. Belmont Tuition:
Student will first pay Belmont tuition and then be charged a Program Fee for the difference in total provider program cost and what has already been paid for Belmont tuition. If the provider program costs less than Belmont tuition, the student will only be billed Belmont tuition.
Students are responsible for booking their own international travel.It is recommended that students wait to be accepted fully into their program before booking their airfare.
- See the world from Dubai's highest tower, Burj Khalifa.
- Try the traditional mode of local transportation – camel.
- Count stars in the night sky on a desert safari.
- See more of the region, such as Al Ain Oasis (known for its underground irrigation system), Dubai and Abu Dhabi, where old (like the largest mosque in the UAE, Sheikh Zayed Mosque) meets new; Masdar City (moving toward use of only solar and other renewable energies); and Oman, a country in stark contrast to conservative UAE.
- Visit Sharjah museums, galleries, and traditional souks.
- Jump into university life with student clubs, and connect with UAE and other international students.
Dates and Deadlines
All requirements must be completed by the Study Abroad Office deadlines: online materials are due by 11:59 PM on the deadline date
- Spring Semester Programs: October 15
- Summer/Fall/Academic Year Programs: March 31
1. Please click the Apply Now button (found at the top-right of this page and/or at the bottom of this page) to apply.
2. You will automatically be directed to your myBelmont account to log-in.
3. After logging in to your myBelmont account, if you are not re-directed back to Belmont Global, open a new window for Belmont Global to complete your application.
This program has a two-step application process:
Step 1) Belmont’s Study Abroad Office application, which requires:
- Passport photocopy
- Online questionnaires
- Signature documents
- You must submit the provider application and all requested documents directly to the provider by the Belmont Abroad Office deadline, regardless of the deadlines set by the provider organization.
- Instructions for completing the provider application will be provided on your Belmont Abroad Office application. You should contact the provider directly if you have further questions about the application.
- Your application will not be considered complete until you have submitted both the Belmont application and the provider application.
Office of Study Abroad • JAAC 1009
CIEE Business, Engineering, Arts and Sciences Program in Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
What’s it like to visit the tallest man-made structure on the planet? You’ll find out with CIEE in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). Home to incredible engineering feats like the Burj Khalifa and Palm Jumeirah (a man-made, palm tree-shaped archipelago), the UAE is the perfect place to learn about engineering, the Arab world, and the global economy. Plus, you’ll hone your Arabic language skills, and witness the daily intersection of traditional values and modern realities.
Study abroad in Sharjah and you will:
- Study alongside students from 80 nations at a cutting-edge university that combines traditional Gulf culture with a U.S. style education
- Improve your Arabic language skills while exploring UAE’s role as a global hub for trade, business, and cultural exchange
- Take innovative courses in social sciences, humanities, natural sciences, business, engineering, architecture, and Middle Eastern Studies
- Explore the UAE through CIEE excursions to Dubai, Al-Ain, and Abu Dhabi and participate in various student clubs and organizations at the University
Please check the CIEE website for final program dates, and speak with your CIEE Study Abroad Advisor prior to booking airfare.
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Fall||2019||03/01/2019 **||Rolling Admission||08/21/2019||12/22/2019|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.