AT A GLANCE/LOCATION | PROGRAM TERM | AREAS OF STUDY | COURSE INFORMATION | HOUSING INFORMATION | COSTS | STUDENT LIFE | APPLICATION PROCESS | STAFF CONTACT
AT A GLANCE/LOCATION
Global Academic Ventures (GAV) offers a customised internship and study semester program to our undergraduate music business students, Entertainment Industry students, and business majors by combining targeted core classes taught in Sydney by hand picked faculty, with an 8 week internship based in Sydney or Hong Kong. Belmont University aims to give students a competitive advantage towards their careers upon graduation. No matter where you choose to undertake your internship, the program begins with orientation and cultural activities in tropical Cairns. This is an excellent opportunity to gain professional experience in an international, intercultural setting.
All students start the first half of the semester off in Sydney, Australia where they will take all 3 of their classes in two week increments each. Australia consistently ranks in the world’s top ten countries for quality of life; environmental quality; jobs and earnings; and education and skills. Sydney is also ranked as the thirteenth most popular city for students,and first in Australia for the quality of living.
After the first 6 weeks of classes, students will transition into their internships full-time and will either stay in Sydney or relocate to Hong Kong for the internship portion of the program. Students must pick which location they would like to intern in as part of the application process. Forbes ranks Hong Kong as the 6th most influential city
in the world after London and New York, and Sydney as the 8th. Hong Kong is a thriving multicultural city known for its iconic skyline, but 70% of the islands are actually surrounded by nature.
Pre-Requisites for Program/Eligibility
Students are recommended to be Juniors at the start of this program or Sophomores who have had prior internship experience. Program is targeted towards Music Business, EIS, and Business majors, but is open to other majors as well.
This program offers MBU 3000 credit, which has the following pre-requisites:
- MBU 2000 (Internship and Career Foundations)
- MBU 3450 (Music Publishing)
- Junior standing
SPRING SEMESTER ONLY
: Mid January – Late April
* This program is based on a minimum number of students to participate and will be evaluated in the fall to determine if it's able to run for the Spring.
AREAS OF STUDY
Music and entertainment industry courses and business courses. Students take 3 classes for the first half of the semester ( 1 class each two weeks) and then intern full-time the second half of the semester for roughly 40 hours a week.
Courses are subject to change from semester to semester, but typically courses include:
- Music Business in Australia (3 credits)
- Entertainment Industry in the Asia-Pacific (3 credits)
- International Business (3 credits)
- MBU 3000 (3 credits) Student will coordinate with Julie Jackson on this course. She is the Internship Coordinator for CURB College
- Please note that this course has the following pre-requisities: MBU 2000 and MBU 3450, junior standing
Students have the option of taking additional business courses that are offered through GAV such as: International Marketing, Globalization in the Asia-Pacific, etc.
General business majors and non CURB majors have the option of taking business courses that are offered through GAV such as: International Marketing, Globalization in the Asia-Pacific, and International Business
1. Administrative Fee: $150
Program Deposit: $1,000 (this will not be owed up front as it is included in the Program Fee, but if students withdraw from the program after the application deadline, they will be responsible for this amount)
2. Belmont Tuition:
Student will first pay Belmont tuition and then be charged a Program Fee for the difference in total provider program cost and what has already been paid for Belmont tuition. If the provider program costs less than Belmont tuition, the student will only be billed Belmont tuition.
Published Program Price:
This price is subject to change, but the total fee is currently $22,190.00. This includes Belmont tuition, housing, a few catch up meals, and the activities for orientation week in Cairns ( Great Barrier Reef, Daintree Rainforest, Blue Mountains trip)
Students are responsible for booking their own international travel.It is recommended that students wait to be accepted fully into their program before booking their airfare. All students will fly into Cairns for the orientation trip, then to Sydney for the start of the program. Students who intern in Hong Kong will have to book an additional flight from Sydney to Hong Kong for the start of the internship.
Students will be required to apply for a visa for Australia as well as Hong Kong. GAV will guide students on this process. The visas will have supplemental fees that are subject to change.
During Orientation Week, students will start the program off in Cairns and visit the Daintree Rainforest as well as the Great Barrier Reef. They also will have weekly catch up dinners with GAV staff. There will be a number of optional trips students can sign up for throughout the semester for a supplemental fee.
The second half of the semester, students will be interning full-time for roughly 40 hours/week and will be working Monday- Friday.
Dates and Deadlines
All requirements must be completed by the Study Abroad Office deadlines: online materials are due by 11:59 PM on the deadline date
How to Apply
- Spring Semester Programs: October 1
1. Please click the Apply Now button (found at the top-right of this page and/or at the bottom of this page) to apply.
2. You will automatically be directed to your myBelmont account to log-in.
3. After logging in to your myBelmont account, if you are not re-directed back to Belmont Global, open a new window for Belmont Global to complete your application.
This program has a two-step application process:
Step 1) Belmont’s Study Abroad Office application, which requires:
Step 2) The Provider application, to be completed after being accepted to Belmont:
- Passport photocopy
- Online questionnaires
- Signature documents
- Instructions for completing the provider application will be provided by GAV once you have been accepted through Belmont. You should contact the provider directly if you have further questions about the application.
- Your application will not be considered complete until you have submitted both the Belmont application and the provider application.
Office of Study Abroad • JAAC 1009