AT A GLANCE/LOCATION
Are you an undergraduate student studying in a STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) major who yearns to study abroad but worried that you can’t due to curriculum difficulties and schedules? Look no further than this innovative summer research program from the University of Glasgow, which is consistently ranked among the UK’s top universities. This program offers a variety of summer research projects in biology, chemistry, geographical and earth sciences, psychology, and physics. Such work and experience shouldn't interrupt your academic schedule at home, and will resonate strongly with both employers and graduate schools.
The impressive array of research topics ranges from numerical modeling to the synthesis of molecular compounds and laser stabilization. Specific research projects are available in geographical and earth sciences, chemistry, physics, psychology and biology. Such intensive study abroad is invaluable experience for a resume or indeed for graduate school.
Pre-Requisites for Program/Eligibility
Arcadia requires a 2.8 to be considered for this program.
Mid June- Late July
AREAS OF STUDY
- Geography & Earth Sciences
to browse courses.
As a student on the STEM Summer Research program, you will be housed in one of the University of Glasgow's self-catered residences. The self-catered residences are spread throughout Glasgow, on average, a 20-minute walk or short bus ride to the University of Glasgow campus. These residences range from traditional residence halls to shared flats. You will live in a single or double bedroom and prepare your own meals in communal kitchens. Victoria Hall, a brand-new residence located in the city center, is approximately 40 minutes’ walk from campus. To facilitate travel to campus, Victoria Hall provides all of its residents a bus pass. To learn more about housing options, click here.
1. Administrative Fee: $150
2. Belmont Tuition:
Students will first pay Belmont tuition. The provider will then charge Belmont for the cost of the program. Belmont will pay for the program using the student's tuition. If the provider program costs more than Belmont tuition, the student will be charged the amount that is above and beyond Belmont tuition. If the provider program costs less than Belmont tuition, the student will only be billed Belmont tuition.
Students are responsible for booking their own international travel. It is recommended that students wait to be accepted fully into their program before booking their airfare.
- Meals are not included
- Visas may require a fee. To read more about visas click here
- Optional Arcadia excursions
- Personal expenses
Arcadia will plan some excursions that you may choose to participate in.
Dates and Deadlines
All requirements must be completed by the Study Abroad Office deadlines: online materials are due by 11:59 PM on the deadline date
How to Apply
1. Please click the Apply Now button (found at the top-right of this page and/or at the bottom of this page) to apply.
2. You will automatically be directed to your myBelmont account to log-in.
3. After logging in to your myBelmont account, if you are not re-directed back to Belmont Global, open a new window for Belmont Global to complete your application.
This program has a two-step application process:
Step 1) Belmont’s Study Abroad Office application, which requires:
Step 2) The Provider application, to be completed SIMULTANEOUSLY with Step 1:
- Passport photocopy
- Online questionnaires
- Signature documents
- You must submit the provider application and all requested documents directly to the provider by the Belmont Abroad Office deadline, regardless of the deadlines set by the provider organization.
- Instructions for completing the provider application will be provided on your Belmont Abroad Office application. You should contact the provider directly if you have further questions about the application.
- Your application will not be considered complete until you have submitted both the Belmont application and the provider application.
Office of Study Abroad • JAAC 1009
STEM Summer Research - Glasgow
Engage in hands-on research projects during this 6-week program, using the University's state of the art facilities to earn six (6) research credits. With one of the largest Biology departments in the UK, The University of Glasgow is particularly attractive to Biological Science students.
Glasgow is consistently ranked among the UK's best universities. With its location in the West end of the vibrant and buzzing city and its proximity to the scenic Kelvingrove Park, it is truly a incredible environment to explore.
Past research projects include: Using C. Elegans as a Model Organism for Genetic Screens; Chemical Robotics; The Beta Pen; Langton Ant Math Project; Bedrock Erosion by Moving Grains: Direct Measurements Using Intelligent Pebble.
Arcadia opens the doors to new experiences, different academic learning, people, cultures and perspectives so you can build your own lifelong learning and memories:
- Enjoy academic success – earn credit abroad
- Explore a new world – excursions, activities, events, and so much more!
- Get to know yourself – gain a new view of the world and your place in it.
- Rely on us for support – 9 centers in 13 countries worldwide
- Boost your resume – employers AND graduate schools.
Please check our website for dates and the latest program information.