AT A GLANCE/LOCATION | PROGRAM TERM | AREAS OF STUDY | COURSE INFORMATION | HOUSING INFORMATION | COSTS | STUDENT LIFE | APPLICATION PROCESS | STAFF CONTACT
AT A GLANCE/LOCATION
The School of Italian for Foreigners (SIS Lecce), in partnership with Libera Università Mediterranea LUM “Jean Monnet,” is located in ex Convento dei Teatini - a 17th-century Baroque era monastery in the heart of Centro Storico, Lecce's historical center.
SIS Lecce offers a meaningful and rewarding learning experience to anyone with a strong desire to learn or improve the Italian language. Students of every level are welcome. The only prerequisite is a love of Italian language and culture.
Pre-Requisites for Program/Eligibility
Arcadia requires a 2.5 GPA to be considered.
Early June - Late June
Late June - Late July
AREAS OF STUDY
to browse course offerings.
You’ll have a choice of staying in student apartments or family homestays in Lecce.
All student apartments are located near the university and city center of Lecce. You may share apartments with other Arcadia University students or international and Italian students by request. All apartments are furnished, include private bathrooms and have fully-stocked kitchens. Kitchens will have a stove, refrigerator, cabinet space and sink. All apartments are pre-screened by members of the Lecce staff for cleanliness, safety, comfort, and accessibility. Although Italian apartments have no air conditioning, proper ventilation and stone construction go far in alleviating much of the summer heat.
You may choose to live with an Italian family throughout your period of study in Lecce. Arcadia University works closely with the University of Salento to place students in carefully screened homes. You will be provided with three meals daily as well as all necessary linens.
1. Administrative Fee: $150
2. Belmont Tuition:
Students will first pay Belmont tuition. The provider will then charge Belmont for the cost of the program. Belmont will pay for the program using the student's tuition. If the provider program costs more than Belmont tuition, the student will be charged the amount that is above and beyond Belmont tuition. If the provider program costs less than Belmont tuition, the student will only be billed Belmont tuition.
Students are responsible for booking their own international travel.It is recommended that students wait to be accepted fully into their program before booking their airfare.
- Visas may require a fee. To read more about visas click here.
- Optional Excursions with Arcadia
- Personal Expenses
Language and cultural studies are supported by co-curricular activities which provide a variety of opportunities to experience the distinct cultural traditions of the region and to interact with local residents. The learning labs link learning the Italian language with local cultural activities such as cooking, crafts, and folk dance in a way which enhances the language learning experience and exposes participants to the rich local culture.
Dates and Deadlines
All requirements must be completed by the Study Abroad Office deadlines: online materials are due by 11:59 PM on the deadline date
How to Apply
- Spring Semester Programs: October 15
- Summer/Fall/Academic Year Programs: March 1
1. Please click the Apply Now button (found at the top-right of this page and/or at the bottom of this page) to apply.
2. You will automatically be directed to your myBelmont account to log-in.
3. After logging in to your myBelmont account, if you are not re-directed back to Belmont Global, open a new window for Belmont Global to complete your application.
This program has a two-step application process:
Step 1) Belmont’s Study Abroad Office application, which requires:
Step 2) The Provider application, to be completed SIMULTANEOUSLY with Step 1:
- Passport photocopy
- Online questionnaires
- Signature documents
- You must submit the provider application and all requested documents directly to the provider by the Belmont Abroad Office deadline, regardless of the deadlines set by the provider organization.
- Instructions for completing the provider application will be provided on your Belmont Abroad Office application. You should contact the provider directly if you have further questions about the application.
- Your application will not be considered complete until you have submitted both the Belmont application and the provider application.
Office of Study Abroad JAAC 1009
Italian Language and Culture Summer, Lecce
Based at the renowned Lecce cooperative, Officine Cantelmo, this program emphasizes cultural learning through crafts, dance, folk traditions and excursions.
Located at the Centro Linguistico d'Ateneo, you will be in the heart of Lecce's old city center, which will enhance your opportunity to immerse yourself in the local community.
Arcadia opens the doors to new experiences, different academic learning, people, cultures and perspectives so you can build your own lifelong learning and memories:
- Enjoy academic success – earn credit abroad
- Explore a new world – excursions, activities, events, and so much more!
- Get to know yourself – gain a new view of the world and your place in it.
- Rely on us for support – 9 centers in 12 countries worldwide
- Boost your resume – employers AND graduate schools.
Please check our website for dates and the latest program information.