AT A GLANCE/LOCATION | PROGRAM TERM | AREAS OF STUDY | COURSE INFORMATION | HOUSING INFORMATION | COSTS | STUDENT LIFE | APPLICATION PROCESS | STAFF CONTACT
AT A GLANCE/LOCATION
This exciting program offers you the opportunity to study in English in one of the most popular and cosmopolitan study abroad destinations. By using Barcelona, Spain, as your classroom, you'll explore local, regional, national and international issues by examining cultural, political, social and historical aspects of this intriguing location and its people.
The Arcadia Barcelona Center is right in the bustling neighborhood of l´Eixample in downtown Barcelona, a city at the heart of Catalonia on the Mediterranean coast. It offers a wide variety of courses taught in English and Spanish.
Pre-Requisites for Program/Eligibility
Arcadia requires a 2.5 GPA to be considered.
FALL SEMESTER: Mid September - Mid December
SPRING SEMESTER: Early January- Early April
ACADEMIC YEAR: Mid September - Early April
AREAS OF STUDY
- Barcelona and Spanish Culture
- Business and Economics
to browse course offerings.
For a semester in Barcelona your housing will be one of the following options: International Student Residence, Self-Catered Apartments, or a Homestay. Each housing option has distinct benefits, as outlined below. Please be sure to review the general housing for Spain. Additional information can be found here
The International Student Residence is a fantastic option for students who are looking to have a more integrated, communal living experience in Barcelona. Local Spanish and other European students make up the majority of residents making it an ideal choice for students interested in connecting with peers. Students will be housed in single rooms, with shared common areas (bathrooms, kitchen facilities, lounge space). There are approximately 25 students total in the residence in a given term.
Barcelona is renowned for being a great university town, drawing an international, diverse and educated group of students each year. So in a self-catered apartment, you may share with international students, other Americans or Spanish students.
Approximately 3-8 students will share each apartment and its common areas (bathrooms, kitchen facilities, terraces when available). Most apartments are mixed-gender given that students only share common areas, though housing staff will only assign two students of the same gender to each bedroom.
Homestay is a wonderful way to immerse yourself in local daily life by living in the home of a local family, but it does carry a supplemental fee. We will place one student per homestay and do everything we can to see that the home meets your personal preferences, needs and expectations as outlined by you in the housing and Personal Health forms you complete on Passport. Homestay families are all experienced in hosting American and international university students in Barcelona. Like most Spaniards, these families are dedicated, generous and passionate about sharing their home and culture with our students.
1. Administrative Fee: $150
2. Belmont Tuition:
Students will first pay Belmont tuition. The provider will then charge Belmont for the cost of the program. Belmont will pay for the program using the student's tuition. If the provider program costs more than Belmont tuition, the student will be charged the amount that is above and beyond Belmont tuition. If the provider program costs less than Belmont tuition, the student will only be billed Belmont tuition.
Students are responsible for booking their own international travel.It is recommended that students wait to be accepted fully into their program before booking their airfare.
- Visas may require a fee. To read more about visas click here.
- Optional Excursions with Arcadia
- Personal Expenses
Our Center staff and faculty will help you to look beneath the surface of everyday life and begin to understand what it means to be from Spain. While we intentionally emphasize opportunities to engage with the culture through your course options, there’s also a world of learning beyond the classroom. We’ll open the doors; but it’s up to you to grasp the opportunity and enjoy a life-changing experience.
Dates and Deadlines
All requirements must be completed by the Study Abroad Office deadlines: online materials are due by 11:59 PM on the deadline date
How to Apply
- Spring Semester Programs: October 1
- Summer/Fall/Academic Year Programs: March 1
1. Please click the Apply Now button (found at the top-right of this page and/or at the bottom of this page) to apply.
2. You will automatically be directed to your myBelmont account to log-in.
3. After logging in to your myBelmont account, if you are not re-directed back to Belmont Global, open a new window for Belmont Global to complete your application.
This program has a two-step application process:
Step 1) Belmont’s Study Abroad Office application, which requires:
Step 2) The Provider application, to be completed SIMULTANEOUSLY with Step 1:
- Passport photocopy
- Online questionnaires
- Signature documents
- You must submit the provider application and all requested documents directly to the provider by the Belmont Abroad Office deadline, regardless of the deadlines set by the provider organization.
- Instructions for completing the provider application will be provided on your Belmont Abroad Office application. You should contact the provider directly if you have further questions about the application.
- Your application will not be considered complete until you have submitted both the Belmont application and the provider application.
Office of Study Abroad JAAC 1009
Arcadia in Barcelona
Explore globalization from a European perspective in the beautiful and cosmopolitan city of Barcelona.
Arcadia’s core course will introduce you to the vibrant culture and distinct identity of this magnetic mediterranean city. In addition, you will choose four elective courses offered at either the Arcadia Barcelona Center and/or the University Pompeu Fabra (UPF). Elective courses that are taken at the Arcadia Barcelona Center will include a one or two day excursion that is relevant to the course's syllabus.
Arcadia opens the doors to new experiences, different academic learning, people, cultures and perspectives so you can build your own lifelong learning and memories:
- Enjoy academic success – earn credit abroad
- Explore a new world – excursions, activities, events, and so much more!
- Get to know yourself – gain a new view of the world and your place in it.
- Rely on us for support – 9 centers in 12 countries worldwide
- Boost your resume – employers AND graduate schools.
Please check our website for dates and the latest program information.