PROGRAM | COURSES AVAILABLE | COSTS | APPLICATION PROCESS | FACULTY CONTACTS
PQ2019: THE PRAGUE QUADRENNIAL OF PERFORMANCE DESIGN & SPACE
Every four years, the city of Prague comes together to celebrate and present performance design a an art form, focusing on design as a collaborative field where the artists mix, fuse, and blur the lines between various art and other disciplines to search for new approaches and new visions. The theme of this year’s PQ focuses on a changing world, exploring borders, identity, culture, and movement from the past, through the present, and into the future. This study abroad program will focus on studying theatre and contemporary performance design at PQ2019 to relate the messages sculpted in the experience back to our own lives, cultures, identities, and artistic journey at Belmont.
Part One: June 1st
Students will first travel to Prague to join over 6,000 professionals and students from 90 countries to gain inspiration, develop research techniques, and experience exhibits, competitions, performances, and workshops at PQ2019 that explore ways in which theatre, art, and design connects to a changing definition of identity.
Part Two: June 18th
The second part of the course brings the students back to the Belmont campus where they will work together to create their own piece of performance design and/or space inspired by the themes at PQ2019. Using research and inspiration gained from their first-hand experience, the students will reflect on (or satirize) the idea of creating space and shaping identity. This will then be showcased in a public setting at Belmont University to tie their experiences back to their academic studies while abroad.
All courses will satisfy either Belmont requirements in the Gen Ed core or the specified major. You must participate in at least one course offered in Prague. You should consult individual program faculty to see how online options can fit into your study abroad program.
- Tour of the Costume Collection at the National Theatre of Prague
- Tour of the Prague Castle
- Vltava River Cruise
- Visit to Barrandov Film Studios
- Overnight excursion to Cesky Krumlov
- Day trip to Terezin Concentration Camp
- Guest lectures and workshops with local theatrical designers and directors
- TDR 1950: The Contemporary Theatre Experience (Fine Arts Gen Ed)
- TDR 4950: Contemporary Performance Design: The Prague Quadrennial (Majors Only)
ENG 3950: Third Year Writing (English 3010; satisfies BELL CORE requirement)
REL 3950: Religion Jr. Cornerstone (Path A or B; satisfies BELL CORE requirement)
INB 3950: (satisfies BBA Core Business requirement for International Business 3300)
1. Program Fee: $5,000:
This fee will include round-trip airfare from Nashville, hotel, breakfasts, transportation, PQ entrance fee, all group events (guest lectures, workshops, theatre productions, tours, museums,site visits, etc.), and health insurance.
Costs not covered by the program fee include:
Tuition, campus housing, lunches/dinners, art supplies, personal expenses.
2. Belmont Tuition
Tuition is charged at the special study abroad tuition rate of 2/3 off the cost of normal Summer tuition. For every 3 hours of study abroad credit you register for, you pay for only one hour.
Program Deposit: $500 due at time of acceptance
Faculty-Led Application Process
Dates and Deadlines
All requirements must be completed by the Study Abroad Office deadlines: online materials are due by 11:59 PM on the deadline date
How to Apply
- Spring Break Programs: November 15
- Maymester Programs: February 1
- Summer Programs: February 15
1. Please click the Apply Now button (found at the top-right of this page and/or at the bottom of this page) to apply.
2. You will automatically be directed to your myBelmont account to log-in.
3. After logging in to your myBelmont account, if you are not re-directed back to Belmont Global, open a new window for Belmont Global to complete your application.
firstname.lastname@example.org • TROUTT THEATER 114
email@example.com • BELMONT HEIGHTS BAPTISIT CHURCH 214A