PROGRAM | COURSES AVAILABLE | COSTS | APPLICATION PROCESS | FACULTY CONTACTS
ALONG THE WAY: A MINDFUL EXPLORATION OF COMMUNITY AND WELL BEING
In London area we will: take a Royal Walking Tour of Central London, Westminster, and Buckingham Palace; participate in a cooking workshop; explore the Sunrise Burial Grounds; go on a day trip to the Cotswolds’ and walk the Labyrinth at Blenheim Palace; and experience a farm to table meal. You will also have free time to tour the highlights of London. Traveling to Spain we will walk (70 miles in 5 days*) the Camino Frances portion of the Camino de Santiago Pilgrimage from Sarria, Spain to Santiago de Compostela, Spain. In Santiago we will explore this UNESCO city, receive our pilgrimage certificates, and take a tour of the Cathedral honoring the Apostle James the brother of Jesus. Finally we will arrive in the coastal city of Porto, Portugal starting with a Historic City Walking tour. We will visit the famous Lello book store (where parts of Harry Potter were inspired and written), local markets, bridges, parks, and iconic beaches.
Throughout the exploration students will engage in their coursework with the following: Through the Mindfulness class, students will learn strategies to skillfully work with thoughts, emotions, and sensations, while developing their capacity to enhance mind-body-spirit awareness of present-moment experience. In the Wellness course students will engage in holistic health practices and reflection on the interconnectedness of physical, social, environmental, emotional, spiritual and cultural health. In the Human Diversity course, students will engage with food, culture, customs, and personal encounters in order to grow in empathy, self-awareness and an understanding of identity and systems of power and privilege.
*Please note we will be walking approximately 70 miles while in Spain over the course of 5 days. You will NOT have to carry your luggage, just walk. Please consider this as you plan for this Maymester trip.
All courses will satisfy either Belmont requirements in the BELL Core or the specified major. You must participate in at least one course offered in England, Spain & Portugal. You should consult individual program faculty to see how online options can fit into your study abroad program.
- Camino Frances portion of the Camino de Santiago
- Royal Walking Tour
- Walk the Labryrinth at Blenheim Palace
- Historic City Walking Tour
- Lello Bookstore
- SWK 2950: Mindfulness & Spirituality (3 hours – equivalent to SWK elective, general elective, ILC with WEL: 1950 3 credits)
- SWK 2950: Exploring Human Diversity (3 hours – equivalent to SWK 2300, JCS, Social Science)
- WEL 1950: Wellness (2 credits – equivalent to WEL 1600)
- WEL 1950: Wellness (3 credits – equivalent to WEL 1895, ILC with SWK 2950: Mindfulness)
- WEL 2950: Wellness Activity (1 credit – equivalent to WEL 2001)
(equivalent to ENG 3010): Third Year Writing (satisfies BELL CORE requirement)
(equivalent to REL 3050): Religion Jr. Cornerstone (satisfies BELL CORE requirement)
INB 3950: (satisfies BBA Core Business requirement for International Business 3300)
1. Program Fee: $6,000:
This fee will include airfare (international and domestic), ground transportation, most meals,
lodging, all pre-planned excursions for experiential learning.
Costs not covered by the program fee include:
Additional meals, course texts, personal spending.
2. Belmont Tuition
Tuition is charged at the special study abroad tuition rate of 2/3 off the cost of normal Maymester tuition. For every 3 hours of study abroad credit you register for, you pay for only one hour.
Program Deposit: $500 due at time of acceptance
Faculty-Led Application Process
Dates and Deadlines
All requirements must be completed by the Study Abroad Office deadlines: online materials are due by 11:59 PM on the deadline date
How to Apply
- Spring Break Programs: November 15
- Maymester Programs: February 1
- Summer Programs: February 15
1. Please click the Apply Now button (found at the top-right of this page and/or at the bottom of this page) to apply.
2. You will automatically be directed to your myBelmont account to log-in.
3. After logging in to your myBelmont account, if you are not re-directed back to Belmont Global, open a new window for Belmont Global to complete your application.
Dr. Douglas Crews
Social Work Department
email@example.com • INMAN 206A
Social Work Department
firstname.lastname@example.org • INMAN 205B
Dr. Holly Huddleston
email@example.com • SPORT SCIENCE BUILDING 2